Monday, March 30, 2015

My Fragrance/Perfume Journey

I don't wear fragrance very often unless it's a special occasion. I also don't buy it often, but it is something that I like to have around. A little bit about my taste in fragrances, I don't like sweet fragrances like anything with vanilla, or sweet pea from Bath and Body Works. Sometimes I will make an exception if it is a fragrance that has violet in it. I'm also not as picky about the fragrance being all natural as I am with my skin care. Enough talk about my likes and dislikes as you will already see them throughout this post. 

I'll admit, I started at Victoria's Secret. Yes, I did start with Love Spell. I read in Seventeen Magazine that Love Spell was a "guy's pick" in their beauty awards, and that is how I got interested in it. Back then, Victoria's Secret was something that was very taboo at school. As you can imagine, I was very young, and my friends would have their moms go in and buy the fragrances for them. This was so long ago that when I first picked up my own bottle, it still had this packaging.
I was so excited about having my first perfume that I basically drowned myself in it. I was so obsessed with Love Spell that I would wear it every day. Looking back, I think that if I had walked by myself, I would have had a coughing fit. I did also have Pure Seduction and My Desire. I wore those until I reached high school. 

When I entered high school, I turned away from Victoria's Secret and became really interested in Ralph Lauren fragrances. I picked up a bottle of Ralph Lauren Romance, and yes, it was because it was a "guy's pick" in Seventeen Magazine. 
This fragrance brings back lots of memories. I wore this to my first dance, when I first fell in love, and many other coming of age moments. I still have the bottle sitting on my dresser just to remind me of my younger days. It had a very unique smell. It was floral, sweet, and sultry at the same time. I can guarantee you that this was a head turner in high school. 

While Ralph Lauren Romance was more of a special occasion fragrance, I decided that I needed something that was more for everyday. So, I picked up Ralph Lauren Cool.
This was one of my favorite fragrances because it was fresh and it was a great everyday fragrance. I know that they don't produce it anymore, but I also keep this on my dresser to remind me of my younger days. It has a nice aquatic smell that is good for any season. That's probably why I chose it. 

Sophomore year, I remembered seeing an ad for Juicy Couture's Viva la Juicy. I remember the girls wearing lace dresses and big bows on top of their heads. Juicy Couture velour track suits were also becoming popular at this time. I picked up a bottle, and I could really see why people liked it. 
This was definitely not a day time scent. I wore it to musicals at night and when I went on dates. It had a very unique smell of vanilla and jasmine. I know that I said that I didn't like vanilla, but it complimented the jasmine nicely. I knew girls who would buy the body lotion as well as the body wash, but I never went that far.

I didn't wear much fragrance for the remainder of high school. In fact, I didn't buy a new bottle until I entered the beauty industry. My nose definitely has changed since high school. I started to really appreciate more mature fragrances. I also did buy into the hype of Dolce and Gabbana's Light Blue. 
I remember smelling this on one of my girlfriends and really liking it. I also remember smelling it within the pages of magazines. I liked the fresh aquatic smell of it and how versatile the fragrance was. I wore it during the summer time to outings like bonfires or barbecues. Every time I smell it, it brings me back to that summer.

In December of 2013, I smelled my most favorite fragrance of all time. I knew it the moment that I smelled it. It was L'Occitane's Fleur D'or and Acacia. 

Not only did it have the most beautify packaging, but it also wore well on me. It was the perfect blend of floral and sweetness. I could see myself wearing this for all occasions. I received so many compliments when I wore it and over all, it reminded me of happiness. I even bought the dry oil that came with it. Every time I have a bad day or when I need an extra boost of luck, I put it on and I wake up feeling much better. 

As much as Fleur D'or and Acacia was an all occasions fragrance, I also fell in love with L'Occitane's Jasmine and Bergamont. 

When I smell this fragrance, I think of a very sexy, powerful woman. It was a little heavy for the day time, but it was perfect for the night time. I love using this fragrance for dates or balls, and it ties a night out's outfit together.

I'm not a crazy fragrance fanatic, but when I find something that I love, I get hooked on it. Fragrance is very personal and you should never settle on a scent just because it's popular at the moment. When you smell your favorite fragrance, it brings back all the memories that came with it. Some people find the right one the first time around, and some have a little bit of digging to do. If you don't have favorite yet, I suggest either going to a fragrance specialty store to pick out notes that you may enjoy, or even buying a Sephora fragrance sampler. 
Let me know what your favorite fragrance is and how you discovered it.

No comments:

Post a Comment